Today I was a bit hungry on the way to the university, so I went to one of those convenience stores, which you can find here on every corner. I pondered a while, looking at the different types of Baumkuchen they had in stock. It may be my own ignorance but I have the impression Baumkuchen (resembling in shape and colour the cross sectional cut of a tree, hence the name) is despite its German name not really popular (or even well known) in Germany.
Anyway, this morning I opted for Onigiri. That is some triangle shaped ball of rice, filled with plums or tuna or … other stuff and coated in a sheet of seaweed. This food is slightly tricky for the untrained consumer. Since the seaweed would otherwise get soaked from the rice, both the filled rice ball and the nori (seaweed) are separated by plastic sheets. That means first you have to unravel everything and then you have to pack the rice in the seaweed again. Unaware of the proper nori folding technique my Onigiri looked a bit unskilful, but the taste was none the less very good. So I will surely try that again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
hey spacefox, although in a different part of Toyko, we managed to share the same breakfast. We are such unmistakable gei-jin's !
with love,
your blauermango
gaijin...sorry
:)
I took the one with tuna (not on purpose thought).
I'd love to taste all these things too--they all sound so strange (which is wonderful). Too bad you can't bring back anything fresh. :)
That is unfortunately true. The good stuff is fresh.
Perhaps we can bring home some of the dried squids :)
Yuck ;-)
Dried squids rule! So does Baumkuchen!
Lörker
*I lörk this place*
Yes, they actually do!
;)
I love Baumkuchen. And i have seen it alot in Germany... You can even by "Baumkuchenspitzen" in Aldi...
But i always hat the impression you only get to now your home country if you are abroad...
All the Best
Zottel
That's right or {so desu ne} as they say here. The perspective also changes...
Or as another German put it: "Here I can drink a beer together with a Bavarian [and feel at home]" ;)
Post a Comment