This night we felt a slight tremor. We both fell asleep again immediately and only talked about it after we felt another one early this morning. Our apartment is on the 6th floor (or 5th by continental European counting). We could feel the lateral movement of the building. A somewhat strange feeling. It lasted only for a brief moment (maybe a second or so). I saw on the internet there were actually 4 earthquakes. We only noticed two of them (with a magnitude of 5 and 5.3).
You can find more information about the earthquake from last night here:
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/16041800389.html
In retrospective I have probably experienced some earthquakes here before. I have felt the ground shaking while in office already 3 or 4 times. Since my office is on the 5th floor, while Chiara’s is on the ground floor, she never felt the shaking of the building and I thought it is either my imagination or an experiment in one of the labs…
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I must say, it is indeed a strange feeling, lying down on a futon and feeling like you are being cradled back and forth gently...only knowing that the whole building is the cradle and that it is not quite so safe!
Post a Comment