Last Saturday we were in Shibuya. After a short visit to the tobacco and salt museum we went to the Meiji shrine and the park around it. Here you can see many young Japanese who are dressed up in all kinds of ways. One particularly fascinating guy wore clothing which looked medieval Japanese to me. He tossed a tube of toothbrush in the air, drew a sword and probably tried to cut the tube in half in mid air. For that trick to work he still needs a bit of practice though, none the less it was impressive.

On Sunday I finally got a haircut (which was overly due). The procedure is the following: When you enter the shop you put a 1000 Yen (6 Euro) bill in a machine. You then get a ticket and take a seat on some kind of bench. Every time a haircut is finished the first person on the bench gets up and everyone else moves one seat towards the end of the bench. Once it was my turn I handed the ticket to the haircutter. He placed my backpack in a special cabinet and after I explained to him which haircut I wanted (simply 12 mm, so fortunately not too much to explain in Japanese) he started to work. After finishing the haircut they use a vacuum cleaner to remove the remaining cut hairs from your head and shoulders.

2 comments:
Hello Armin and Chiara,
great blogg! I enjoy reading your entries very much.
The samurai guy is wearing a hakema which is what you also wear in Aikido :)
Please take lots of pictures for me on anythign to do with samurais and aikido...my latest passion!!
Take care and have lots of fun
Saluti e abbracci
Raffy
We also find the samurai related things very fascinating. Unfortunately this place is very modern, so you don't see so much of the traditional Japanese culture.
Post a Comment