Friday, October 19, 2007

Japanese Animation

I have to address a myth: In Europe it is sometimes claimed that Japanese people watch a lot of animated movies (called anime). Having heard that, I was expecting to see them here on every TV-channel. To my surprise (and disappointment) I must say they actually are quite rarely shown on TV. Usually when I zap through the channels I don’t find any. On the weekends some are on air in the morning, but they are entirely for kids.



It also seems those cartoons all are some kind of advertisement for collectible card games and other merchandising.


On the other hand, when talking to Japanese students about their favourite movies, they do mention animated movies. On one occasion I was asked about the Japanese animation I know and when I said something about Macross, the student was laughing and said that was one generation before his time… :)

No comments: